Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby Copelyn's Birth Story

Let me start by saying we are absolutely totally in love with our little blessing God has given us. She is beautiful and so sweet! But this little sweet bundle of joy sure did give us a run for our money on Tuesday. She proved numerous times she was going to run the show no matter what intervention we may take! Let me also say before I tell the whole story that we appreciate all the love & support so many of you have shown us over these past few days. We feel so incredibly grateful for all the prayers as well.

So where to even begin!? Our day began Tuesday at 3:30 am as I woke up and got ready for our scheduled C section. I decided I would put my face on and do my hair to meet my little girl! I got all ready & everything!! We got to the hospital around 5:30am and got prepped for our C section. After listening for Copelyn's heart beat the nurses felt like she may have moved but we had to confirm it with an ultrasound once our doctor got there. So we waited for about an hour & sure enough when the doctor scanned us our sweet girl had turned head down! We were all in shock! Crazy little girl! So at this point we turned to the induction plan. Our doctor knew I would like to go natural so she tried at first a more natural way of induction. When we went to check if it had worked after about 4 hours...Copelyn had turned AGAIN! ugh! The doctor tried to turn her a bit manually and it worked but it proved to be one of the scariest times for me during labor because Copelyn started decelling. So at this point we knew we needed to get her engaged if she was going to come vaginally. It was decided here to start me on a strong dose of pitocin! I knew I hated this drug but not until it was running through my veins did I realize how evil it really can be! BUT it got the job done. Copelyn got engaged and within no time I was about 4 cm. They then broke my water which got me to about 6 cm. At about 6.5 cm I decided to get an epidural because we realized it was probably going to be a long night and she wouldn't come until the wee hours of the morning. (She proved us all wrong here too) So I got the epidural and felt relief very soon. Within two hours though I started feeling everything again even though I kept pushing the button to push more into my system! That is my luck...right!? At this point I was crying...I felt like such a wimp. The contractions were so long and strong I felt like I may just die! The anesthesiologist decided to rebolus me with a stronger dose! This felt so good at first. I couldn't even feel my legs it was so strong. Within about 1.5 hours I started feeling the contractions...AGAIN! What the heck!? The nurse rechecked me and much to our surprise we were at 9.5 cm and almost ready to push. I got really scared because I honestly did not think I could handle the pain to push her out. I pushed on the PCA pump three times to try to get more drug in my system but it just wasn't doing much of anything for me. I then felt the urge to push and could not stop. At this point our sweet doctor was delivering another baby. It didn't matter to me though because I just wanted this baby out of me! haha So we started pushing a bit. I remember the nurse telling me I was probably going to be pushing for two hours. I thought to myself...Oh no I am not! Our doctor came in the room just in time & within 25 minutes I had her out. Even though it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, it was so worth it. I think because I had some feeling I was able to push her out more effectively.

My doctor was absolutely AMAZING the whole entire day! We laughed together and she lightened the mood for us even when things got stressful. She was a voice for me even when I had trouble saying NO to people and made sure the experience was what I wanted. She did everything she could to give me as natural of a birth as possible. She even knew during pushing what I needed. She knows I have that "runner" mind and needed someone to count or do something to help me get through the pushes. I remember thinking in my mind...Someone help me! And sure enough she started counting to 10 for me for each push and because of that I could make it through. All my nurses were so wonderful! I can't say enough good things about all of them. The whole experience was just so surreal and we are so thankful for everyone that played a part into bringing our sweet girl into the world!

We love Copelyn so much and can't wait to watch her and help her grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment