Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Like Mother...Like Daughter


As I sat in my bubble bath last night for the 8th night in a row...I found myself laughing out loud. Yes it has happened. I am my mother! Now, I am not saying this is a bad thing but I have to laugh at myself because as I get older everything I said as a young girl that I wouldn't do just like my mom I have found myself doing. It must be instilled in my being! And then I found myself wondering will Copelyn be just like me:)

I remember thinking when I was younger as I watched my mom every year dig out her boxes & boxes for each and every holiday, I will never spend money on holiday decorations! What a waste of money. Well...if you know me at all you know that I no longer feel this way! I am actually worse than my mom. I LOVE HOLIDAY DECORATIONS!!! Christmas, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, Valentines Day, Memorial Day, Easter...you name it...I decorate for it!

Mom always had the house clean growing up. You could practically lick the floor it was so clean. Once again I remember thinking...I will never be like that!! Haha! Well, I clean my house at least twice a week. Like mother like daughter:)

Or how about how my mom cares so much for others and does for others before herself. I remember a number of times when my mom would take me shopping for a whole day & not buy herself one thing. I never really acted like I noticed but now that I am about to be a mom I really realize how much she gave up so I could have. Just the other day in Target I found Copelyn the cutest pair of boots. I want her sweet feet to stay warm this winter! Well, I wanted a pair of boots too! I knew I couldn't get both of them so I had to choose. And of course I chose my daughter. I am thankful my mom served and set as an example of what it is like to unconditionally love others. It isn't about buying the people we love THINGS...it is about putting the ones we love unselfishly before ourselves.

Then there is the time that my mom and I were involved in an apartment fire. It was 2am when the firefighters were banging on our door to evacuate us from the nearby burning building. Well, my mom couldn't dare leave the apartment without putting her face on!! So she quickly put her makeup on before we evacuated. haha Well, I have become like that too! I can't leave the house without putting a little mascara and powder on.

I love my mom so much. I am so thankful for the relationship we have. I love how we talk five times a day and I look forward to our hour long conversations every day! She is my very best friend. I pray that Copelyn and I can have a close relationship like this. One where she isn't afraid to tell me things, where she trusts my advice, and most importantly knows I will be praying for her each & every day. I am so lucky to have the mom that I have. I pray that Copelyn will look back 25 years from now and say the same about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment