Thursday, February 24, 2011

15 years.....





Today is my mom and step-dads 15 year wedding anniversary! I can not believe how fast the years have gone by. I come from a divorced family but thankfully my situation was made the best possible for me. I guess you could say I got the best of both worlds. My mom and my step-dad married when I was 10 years old & I was so grateful because I got to have two dads. I always hated being an only child as well so when my mom told me she was having a baby I was forever grateful. I then gained a sister named Madison:)

Reading my bible this afternoon I kept trying to ask God what he wanted me to write today. Then he made it perfectly clear to me. It seems like yesterday that I was 10 years old preparing for my mom to get married and then in an instant I am about to turn 25 years old and now I am married. When I reflect on these past 15 years it saddens me to think of where the days have gone. Did I spend them right? And most importantly did I spend them for Jesus?

If I really sit down and think about where the time has gone it all boils down to the fact that we live in a materialistic, fast paced world. We go out and get that brand new car or brand new house and before we can blink our eyes we are on to the next best thing. We fulfill our needs with all of our material wants rather than spiritual needs. We spend so much time thinking about ourselves and what is going to benefit "ME" rather than living life unselfishly for God. I see this so much especially in my age group. People are getting married and want these huge, lavish weddings when in reality they are missing the point that all that matters is at the end of the day they are marrying their best friend.(I am guilty of this a bit but I am so thankful that I realized this way before my wedding day and appreciated my marriage to Scott so much more than the actual day itself) This is why we see so much divorce with our generation; people are caught up in the "things" of a marriage rather than the "relationship" of the marriage.

Nowadays when people graduate college they want the biggest house they can possibly afford and brand new cars parked in their garage. They don't for one minute stop and think of the consequences that lavish lifestyle will lead 10 years down the road when they have little ones running around or an opportunity to serve God in someway. Most importantly, since we live in this fast paced world people can not even find time for God anymore. When will we wake up as a society and realize it is not the "stuff" in life that matters most, it is our relationship with God and our relationships with others? And until we wake up and realize this our life will just keep on flying by.

Never get so busy and so much stuff that you don't have time for God. Because to be completely honest when you get to heaven the house you lived in, the car you drove, the wedding you and your husband had, the clothes you wore WILL NOT matter. What will matter is how you lived unselfishly for God on this earth. Slow down a little bit and soak in every moment of everyday that God has given to you. He loves you enough to wait on you but don't get so wrapped up that you just fly right on past his perfect will. Listen to him because he provides the BEST life you can possibly live.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Lauren for the beautiful words. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry made me think of a Francis Chan quote from his book Crazy Love... "In about 50 years (give or take a couple of decades) no one will remember you. Everyone you know will be dead. Certainly no one will care what job you had, what car you drove, what school you attended, or what clothes you wore." So true.. It's sad but true.. so many people are so blinded by themselves and their inability to see the big picture.. too blinded to allow God's presence to work in and through them the way he so preciously designed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Said Lauren!! and laura! and Francis Chan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Kidding. You really are such a great writer babe. I'm proud of you for allowing God to speak through you.

    ReplyDelete